November 6, 2009 in KForge, News, OKF Projects
We’re pleased to announce the release of KForge v0.17! KForge is an open source (GPL) suite of tools for for managing software and knowledge projects. Tools available currently include:
- Wikis and mailing lists (e.g. MoinMoin, Mailman).
- Content management systems and blogs (e.g. Joomla, WordPress, DAV).
- Version control systems (e.g. Subversion, Mercurial, Git).
- A project framework with mechanisms to plan and track work (e.g. Trac).
- Automatic project service configuration with single sign-on access control.
The KForge code is currently used in our KnowledgeForge service – which currently lists over 700 users associated with over 100 projects – from UK parliamentary transcripts to a big collection of open data on caving, from the [One Click Orgs](http://www.knowledgeforge.net/project/oneclickorgs/
) project to works of 11th century legal scholar Ivo of Chartres. Many OKF projects use the service – such as CKAN, Open Shakespeare, Public Domain Works and Open Text Book.
The new release includes many important milestones, such as:
- New Git plugin
- New Joomla plugin
- New project ‘recent changes’ feed aggregation
- Support for using Mercurial services with Trac services
- Support for using Git services with Trac services
- Improved installer and install guide
For a full list of changes, see the announcement on the KForge Project blog.
You can download the KForge code from the Python Package Index at:
July 31, 2009 in CKAN, Events, External, KForge, Open Data, Talks
Earlier today the OKF’s Jordan Hatcher and Jo Walsh gave a tutorial on open data at the Repository Fringe 2009.
There are some detailed notes on the JISC Datashare blog:
Jo gave an overview of the Open Knowledge Foundation – in particular focusing on four principles for developing open knowledge and knowledge componentization, as well as CKAN and KnowledgeForge and the Open Knowledge Definition.
Jordan spoke about legal aspects of open data, giving an overview of legal tools for making data open – such as the PDDL and ODbL of the Open Data Commons project.
For more on the Repository Fringe, see:
June 10, 2009 in KForge, News, OKF Projects
Another release (v0.16) of KForge is now out. It’s amazing to think this will mark KForge’s 4th anniversary!
KForge is the software behind our KnowledgeForge service and the code is now very stable — we plan for the next release to be our official “1.0″. On this occasion there are the following changes worthy of note:
- Clean-up of authentication system
- Eliminate annoying and subtle svn 1.5 bug (svn add did not work under svn 1.5)
- Deployment under virtualenv for sandboxed installations
- Increase compatibility across external libs (e.g. django 1.0)
- Variety of other minor but important fixes as we prepare for the release of v1.0
Download it from the python package index here: