We are pleased to announce the availability of version 1.0 of the CKAN software, our open source registry system for datasets (and other resources). After 3 years of development, twelve point releases and a several successful production deployments around the world CKAN has come of age!
As well as being used to power http://ckan.net and http://data.gov.uk CKAN is now helping run 7 data catalogues around the world including ones in Canada (http://datadotgc.ca / http://ca.ckan.net), Germany (http://de.ckan.net/) and Norway (http://no.ckan.net).
CKAN.net has also continued to grow steadily and now has over 940 registered packages:
This is our largest release so far (56 tickets) with lots of new features and improvements. Main highlights (for a full listing of tickets please see the trac milestone):
- Package edit form: new pluggable architecture for custom forms (#281, #286)
- Package revisions: diffs now include tag, license and resource changes
- Web interface: visual overhaul (#182, #206, #214-#227, #260) including a
tag cloud (#89)
- i18n: completion in Web UI – now covers package edit form (#248)
- API extended: revisions (#251, #265), feeds per package (#266)
- Developer documentation expanded (#289, #290)
- Performance improved and CKAN stress-tested (#201)
- Package relationships (Read-Write in API, Read-Only in Web UI) (#253-257)
- Statistics page (#184)
- Group edit: add multiple packages at once (#295)
- Package view: RDF and JSON formatted metadata linked to from package page
- Resources revision history (#292)
- Extra fields now work with spaces in the name (#278, #280) and
international characters (#288)
- Updating resources in the REST API (#293)
- Licenses: now uses external License Service (‘licenses’ Python module)
- Changesets introduced to support distributed revisioning of CKAN data – see doc/distributed.rst for more information.
Lastly a big thank-you to everyone who has contributed to this release and especially to the folks at data.gov.uk!