We are pleased to announce the launch of an [Advisory Council](http://opendefinition.org/advisory-council) for [opendefinition.org](http://opendefinition.org). The Council will be formally responsible for maintaining and developing the Definitions and associated material found on the Open Definition site – including the [Open Knowledge Definition](http://opendefinition.org/1.0) and the [Open Service Definition](http://opendefinition.org/osd). As many of you will know, these definitions aim to provide clear and succinct sets of conditions for ‘openness’ in knowledge and services.
Jordan Hatcher of [opencontentlawyer.com](http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/) has kindly agreed to be Chair of the Council, which includes:
* Paul Jacobson, iCommons
* Paul Miller, Talis
* Peter Murray-Rust, Cambridge University
* Rufus Pollock, Open Knowledge Foundation & Cambridge University
* Rob Styles, Talis
* Peter Suber, Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC) & Earlham College
* Luis Villa, Columbia Law School, GNOME Foundation & Open Source Initiative
* Jo Walsh, Open Knowledge Foundation & Open Source Geo-Spatial Foundation
* John Wilbanks, Science Commons
More detailed biographies are available on the [Advisory Council page](http://opendefinition.org/advisory-council).
It is our intention that the overall development of the material on the site will continue in the same community based and collaborative manner. The Council’s role will be to provide oversight, guidance and input into this process, not to replace it.
This is fantastic news for the definitions projects!