It’s that time of the year again. That time when the international open data community descends on an unsuspecting city for a jam packed week of camps, meet-ups, hacks and conference events. Next week, open data enthusiasts will be taking over Ottawa and Open Knowledge will be there in full force! As we don’t want to miss an opportunity to meet with anyone, we have put together a list of events that we will be involved in and ways to get in touch.We have also started collecting this information in a spreadsheet!
The School of Data team is arriving early for the second annual School of Data Summer Camp. Every year we strive to bring the entire School of Data community together for three intense days to plan future activities, to learn from each other, to improve our skills and ways of working and to give new School of Data fellows the opportunity to meet their future collaborators! This year’s School of Data Summer Camp will take place at the HUB Ottawa. We’ll have a meet and greet on one of the evenings for School of Data family and friends – so watch this space for details, or follow @SchoolofData on Twitter.
Wednesday is going to be a busy day as we will be spread out across three events – CKANCon, organised by the CKAN association, the Opening Parliaments Fringe Event and the Open Data Con Research Symposium, where we will be presenting new work on measuring and assessing open data initiatives and on “participatory data infrastructures”.
At the International Open Data Conference, Open Knowledge team members are co-organising or presenting at the following sessions:
- Data & Public Money Thursday May 28th, 11:00 – 12:15
- Data & Fiscal Transparency – Thursday May 28th, 13:30 – 15:30
- Open Data Advocacy Clinic – Friday 29th, 10:30 – 12:30
- Capacity Building for All – Friday 29th, 10:30 – 12:00
- Measuring Open Data Impacts – Friday 29th, 13:30 – 15:00
- Public Interest Innovation with Open Data – Friday 29th, 13:30 – 15:00
- School of Data Day– Friday 29th, featuring a drop in data-clinic session in the morning, where you can come to us with your data projects, proble and questions, and we’ll talk them through with you -then a short data expedition in the afternoon, 13:30 – 15:00
As you can probably see, the week is going to be a busy one and we are aware that it will be difficult to schedule meetings with everyone! To accommodate, the Open Knowledge team and the entire School of Data family are organising informal drinks at The Brig Pub from 7:30 PM Thursday evening! We would love for you to come say hello in person or you can always find Pavel (Open Knowledge’s new CEO!!!!), Zara, Milena, Jonathan, Mor, Sander, Katelyn, School of Data & of course Open Knowledge on twitter!
Safe travels and we will see you in Ottawa!