We’re proud to announce a major new release of CKAN!
Version 1.5 brings major improvements including:
- Major user experience upgrades around dataset publication and access plus a new theme
- Integrated structured and blob data storage, with associated with data previewing and visualization
- Extended catalog API providing ability to access every piece of the CKAN system
- Documentation overhaul and extension including a new administrator and development manual at http://docs.ckan.org/
- Easier installation and deployment, specifically via new debian / ubuntu packages of CKAN — CKAN installation and deployment can now be less than 5 minutes
CKAN, the Open Knowledge Foundation’s data hub and catalogue software, has now been deployed in over 20
countries around the world, providing Open Data hubs for governments
and communities. Started five years ago, CKAN has gradually increased
in momentum – the development team is now at 6 full-time developers.
Originally developed to power the community data site http://thedatahub.org/ (previously http://ckan.net) which can be freely used by anyone in the open data communities, the Foundation has also now been involved in assisting governments and other public organisations make use of CKAN through the development of customisations and new features as well as the provision of hosted solutions.
For more about this release, see: /2011/11/09/ckan-1-5-release/
We’d also like to take this opportunity to thank the amazing on-line community around CKAN for their continued ideas,
suggestions and support in the development of this open source data hub software.