[Data.gov.uk](http://data.gov.uk/data) goes public today, and we’ve very proud that it is using [CKAN](http://www.ckan.net), our open source registry of open data, to list official UK government datasets (as we [announced in October](http://blog.okfn.org/2009/10/08/datagovuk-launched-and-its-using-ckan/)):
We’ve been working closely with the Cabinet Office team to get this out the door, and over 2500 datasets have been released via the site!
In the [Cabinet Office press release](http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/newsroom/news_releases/2010/100121-data.aspx), Sir Tim Berners-Lee says:
> Making public data available for re-use is about increasing accountability and transparency and letting people create new, innovative ways of using it. Government data should be a public resource. By releasing it, we can unlock new ideas for delivering public services, help communities and society work better, and let talented entrepreneurs and engineers create new businesses and services.
The new launch has received lots of press coverage – even making the front page of the BBC news website! Below is a selection:
* [Tim Berners-Lee unveils government data project]( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8470797.stm), BBC News
* [Public data – free at last?](http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/rorycellanjones/2010/01/public_data_free_at_last.html), BBC Technology
* [Web founder helps government launch official data website](http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/7041604/Web-founder-helps-government-launch-official-data-website.html), Telegraph
* [Britain follows US with national data website](http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/datablog/2010/jan/21/government-data-website-launched), Guardian
* [Our manifesto for government data](http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jan/21/timbernerslee-government-data), Tim Berners-Lee and Nigel Shadboldt in the Guardian
* [Britain frees its data](http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/7037682/Britain-frees-its-data.html), Telegraph
* [UK Launches Open Data Site; Puts Data.gov to Shame](http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/uk_launches_open_data_site_puts_datagov_to_shame.php), ReadWriteWeb
* [Tim Berners-Lee launches UK public data website](http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/jan/21/timbernerslee-government-data), Guardian
* [‘OK, let’s do it’: How Britain’s official data was freed](http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/21/how-official-data-freed), Guardian